Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Scariest Feeling


I’m back peoples!!  I know you missed me.  I’ve been up to so much fun stuff!!  Okay, not really, I just started a new job (which I LOVE) that has kept me very busy.  We did get a dog though!  Her name is Bianca, she’s 2.  Here’s her lovely mug.



So in my new job, I spend hours upon hours building and maintaining extensive Excel spreadsheets, and I like it. Yes, I know, I’m a huge geek.  Whatever.  Seriously, these things are massive, they’re beautiful and they’re my babies.  I keep master copies double backed up and locked so that no one can jack with them.  Important. Shit. Okay?

The worst feeling in the world is when I open a spreadsheet then try to immediately close it, because of innumerable reasons, (mostly being that I suck at naming things properly and I have usually opened the wrong one) and this little box pops up:

Whaaaaa??  What changes?  I didn’t….I don’t think……fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Your fist reaction is, of course, YES!  Yes, I do want to save everything!  Save, save, save everything!!!  It has been pounded into my head since my early childhood when my dad brought home our Commodore 64.  (Why yes, the geeky-ness WAS inherited) 

 I hover my mouse over the “Yes” option then stop; what if one of the “changes” I “made” was accidentally deleting the contents of a single cell?  What if that single cell happened to contain a formula that will now alter the entire spreadsheet converting it immediately into a pile of useless dog shit which causes the world to implode because the shit I make is that fucking important?!?!

This causes me to panic and decide the only way to know for sure is to go over the entire spreadsheet looking for errors, which takes roughly…the rest of my day.

I have a solution.  It’s simple!!  Add this:

See?!?!?!  Now I can see what I hypothetically did or didn’t change.  Why does Microsoft make everything so damn hard?? (I probably just got added to Bill Gates’ hit list for that one.)

1 comment:

"Susan Says..." said...

I have always told you that you are a genius. Now, it's confirmed.

And, I am so glad to have a new post from you that I celebrated by verbally baiting the Lyndon LaRouce followeres who set up a booth down by the post office in town. Even though I couldn''t get a rise out of them, it was exhilarating.

Please post again before the Incan calendar (or whaterver the heck it is) runs out. Love you!